RE: SEUL: Place to meet

On 03-Jul-97 Erik Walthinsen wrote:

>Knowing as little as I do about the underlying structure of IRC, someone will
>probably have to clue me in, but I get the impression that there are "good"
>servers and "bad" servers to use.  It is also my impression that most servers
>are linked together and #seul on irc-2.mit.edu is the same as #seul on
>irc.eskimo.com.  If this is the case, then anyone can join from anywhere.

Well, not quite. There are a few networks of servers, e.g. #channel on
irc.homelien.no is not the same as #channel on irc.oulu.fi, whereas #channel
on irc.pspt.fi is. These are Undernet, Efnet etc.

>Otherwise I'm soliciting server names for people to congregate at, and
>seul-leaders will make a decision sometime, well, soon.

>Another issue that should be resolved before any real discussions take place
>is logging.  I know it's possible to log IRC sessions, since I've seen it
>done.  The question I have is: how?  Does it require a bot or some other kind
>of daemon, or will some servers log things for you?

At least irc2 + Vassago's Phoenix scripts are able to do logging.

--
Juhana Siren (Mr.) - Juhana.Siren@oulu.fi - http://rieska.oulu.fi/~jsiren/