SEUL: Package managers

Heard of UnRpm?

Someone who knows more about package managers than me might like to take
a look at UnRpm.  I came across it in the July issue of Linux Gazette.
It looks like it handles Debian, Red Hat and Slackware package management
schemes.

http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/LDP/LG/issue19/unrpm.html

Is E overly complicated?

I saw screen shots of E (enlightenment) and another advanced window
manager.  While I must admit they certainly have a wow factor for visual
impact, I saw little practical advantage to laying out buttons on the
sides or bottom of a window or showing the root graphics through
applications windows.  The two features that I was able to recognize as
being different from good old FVWM.  Of course they probably said they
same things when the Wright brothers tried to take off.

A problem for any package manager?

I saw a discussion about a problem that arose when somebody wanted to
install a nifty application.  Of course it depended upon a new vesion
Tcl/Tk.  So after installing, the old Tcl/Tk was gone.  The rub came when
some of the old applications would not work without the old Tcl/Tk.  I
don't know why the new Tcl/Tk was not more compatible.  It does highlight
a big challange to the open development model.  How do you squeeze in
time for a vacation without your system becoming obsolete?

Regards,