Re: SEUL: Re: Weekends posts

On Mon, 26 May 1997 jmunoz@nospam.mho.net wrote:

--cut--
> > stage 1: system preparation.
> >   pulling together a general purpose hardware detector would
> > be useful.  it should be modularized so that support for some
> > hardware can be cut out to fit it on an install disk.  does
> > anyone know if something like this exists? (under gpl, hopefully)
>
> A shortcut might be to steal or parse existing OS configuration info
> from '95 or 3.1 config files to minimise the probing or guessing.  We'd
> have to write a dos/win program to save this info for linux on the new
> partition or diskette.

Very good idea; why not have a "Have you been using one of the following"
question, listing Win31/Win95/WinNT/OS2, then scan through the hd's and
mount them according to the partition type, then take the appropriate config
files. Almost everything is in the Windows config files, I think. Anyone
know the details of the Win95 config system?

--
Thomas Molesworth            (thomas@bass.almac.co.uk)