Re: SEUL: Re: [seul-edu] Re: Web Site Prototype

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Ian Bicking wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 10:21:52AM -0600, Viron, Michael wrote:
> > Apropriate use of ALT tags makes this a moot point--even with the use of
> > graphics, people with Lynx & most other browsers will not be missing
> > anything important.
> >
> > The main reason for the graphics along the side for the menu-bar is to
> > make sure that the text on the menu bar stays essentially the same size
> > for people with larger monitors--if you use text, it becomes puny at like
> > 1024 x 768.
>
> Things might look better if you didn't use fixed-size fonts in the CSS
> definitions (e.g., 10pt).  Instead, the xx-small/medium/xx-large
> definitions don't force the browser to use a constant size, and the
> browser can be responsive to the font preferences given.
>
> Graphics *can't* size up to a higher resolution monitor.  I don't see
> how they would make things easier to read.

> > > Are we talking table title or top-of-the-page title?  For
> > > top-of-the-page, I don't see the problem.  Of course, I have the general
> > > problem (as alluded to above) with images of text rather than text
> > > itself.
> > If you have a page that is set up as a table, and as the "title" for the
> > page you use a graphic that blends in with the sidebar to have
> > something like this:
> >
> > -------
> > |

> > You have to be very careful--if the screen is too big, you lose cohesion
> > (i.e., you have this big blank space between the image that you created
> > and the sidebar)
>
> I'm not entirely clear on what you are describing, but I think it can
> be avoided.
>
> If you have a fixed-width menu bar an unspecified-width main page (which
> would size up with the browser), you can just set it up so that the
> title image justifies itself with whatever you are lining it up with.
>
> Maybe if you describe better what you see as the problem...
Ok--if you are using a two column, two row table--
first column, first row is a "corner" image (or is a solid color).....
second column, first row is a "title" image which matches the solid
color on the corner section
first column, second row is the menubar along the side--same color as the
corner and the title.
second column, second row is "content" (white background or whatever).

Well, images don't auto-resize--so if you set it to center--then anything
larger than the display you developed the page on, will have a white space
(a color that doesn't match the color you've got on the corner or the
sidebar), between the "corner" piece and the image.  If you left justify
the image--you'll end up with a white space after the image itself (which
doesn't match what you've got in the corner.  Of course, you could always
make the image transparent--which would avoid the problem entirely--but is
a little more work.

Mike