Re: OS questions draft, III

In message <ad171a44.35ceea26@aol.com>, eamorical@aol.com writes:
>and had to be reinstalled last night. Finally ADSL has arrived and I am
>going to look into it today. This leads to the thought that with much higher
>data transfer speeds becoming available, it makes downloading software
>much more practical. Thus there should be questions like:
>
>*Will ADSL or cable modem influence your decisions concerning
> downloading software.
> web surfing.
> web site material.
> etc.

While I'll grant you that there are people out there who'd like to know
the answer to this, this is pretty far from our original topic: what users
want in their OS. These are awfully specific questions compared to 'how
important is it to be able to access the net?'

We need to focus on the 'big picture' questions for now. Somebody who isn't
interested in ADSL will be willing to answer one question, saying "adsl
isn't very important to me" (or perhaps it is; whatever), but he won't be
very interested in answering 4 questions about something that isn't his
interest or problem. This survey needs to consist primarily of basic questions
about each category.

Now, it's true that we can consider more detailed questions about certain
categories later on. The problem there is that it will be difficult to
generate enough interest about an "ADSL survey" to get many responses.
Perhaps that is something more suited to one of those little slashdot
surveys. I'm sure they'd love to get some real questions for once. :)

--Roger