0x010->0x011 change summary

Evening, folks. Made a few changes to the survey, and summarized them on
the page proper: http://www.seul.org/research/survey.html

I wrote a really bogus mission statement, if I can call it that, to see
if folks generally agree with it.

[Bob]
> *speed of internet connection. I feel this question belongs with the
> internet questions because it primarily concerns things beyond the
> hardware. It mainly concerns phone wire whatever.
     * Fair enough. 0x011.

> Under Software [Bob suggests:] I agree delete the 3 questions.
     * Gone. 0x011.

---
Bob - as requested, ASDL questions were removed from the survey proper,
and moved to another page, http://www.seul.org/research/altern.html
for future reference. I'll add the some of the other software-specific
questions there later.

---
[>> Bob, > Roger]

>>User Demographics
>>A. 'Choose all  that apply' Ok I pick 1,2,3 and 4. As I answer
>>the questions I switch hats depending on how I feel about
>>the question. How do you know  what I am doing. Don't we
> It's "pick a primary", then "tick others that apply as well".
> Thus, you should be looking at questions based on the primary
> user-type you chose.
> Er, that doesn't seem to have gotten into 0x010. Whoops.
     * Yup. I think I got it now in 0x011.

>>need something that defines the point of view of the survey
>>taker. I tend to agree with Pete's comments. In other words
>>don't ask anything one doesn,t have to.
>>B. Windows 95/98
     * Okay - I separated these for 0x011.

>>C. Should group 3 and group 4 be interchanged so that 'Do
>>multiple people use this system' follows 'How many people
>>use the computer'
>
> Hrm. The "home:" and "business:" that I prepended to some of
> those questions is now moot, because I don't get to pick
> different questions depending on earlier answers. Which just
> means we'll have to merge the two and ask both at once:
>
> How many computers do you have? (If home user, consider your
> entire household; if business user, consider only those computers
> which you personally have) 0 1 2 3 4 5+
>
> Then the "How many people use these computers?" question doesn't
> make sense for business users. Is there a simple solution for this?
>
> This section needs some more help, apparently. Thanks for pointing
> that out.

>>Ok 'foo,bar,baz,quux,squee,unsure' I feel for now leave 'unsure'.
>>It doesn't affect anything so it can be left until the very last
>>decision to leave it or toss it. Roger has suggested:
>>essential / nearly essential / preferred / slightly prefered /
>> unimportant
>>and
>>crucial / important / xx / relevant / unimportant
>>I just wanted to check. I see these as 5,4,3,2,1. This is what you
>>want as opposed to 2,1,0,-1,-2 where the middle one is the null one.
> Yes, this is what I want. People keep proposing scales with
> "absolutely do not want" at one end of them. I'm assuming that since
> all of our questions are features or abilities, people aren't going
> to say "no, I absolutely cannot have SMP support in my OS".

     So, our scale should then be based on preference level, rather than
a continuum between 'Must have' and 'must not have'? Actually, this
should be more easily interpretable than the 'must / not have'
arrangement.

>> In any case the Pricing questions can be reworded to fit. At this
>> point I'm not as concerned about the wording of the questions
>> (that's easy to fix) as I am about what questions we want to ask.
>> Last thought eventually should all the questions start out with the
>> same wording for consistancy and ease of matching foo,bar,etc. or
>> all different to be artistic.
>
> It would be nice if similar questions were worded the same. I'm not
> worried that people will get bored by our word choice. We want to
> choose exact words for their clarity, not their fun. :)
>
>>Agreed (OS) stability and application stability should be together.
>>Again not particularily concerned at this point.
>>Ok I want  to go back over 0x010 before I go on.
>>To be continued.
>>
>>Bob
>
> Thanks,
> --Roger

Cheers,

Pete

--
Pete St. Onge - McGill U.  Limnology - Fun with Ropes & Buckets
pete_st_onge@iname.com         http://wwp.mirabilis.com/4322052