0x017

Pete,
Suggest  removing the  Emerging Technologies section and putting the
following question or something like it under software to jog my memory.
* Having software available for emerging technologies

For now leave the Other section but replace the old emerging technology
questions on the 'Alternative' page with the following for me to play with
as I get time. With  AOL trying to cut and paste from more than one source
gets into real trouble.

 - Office productivity
	- Word processing
	- Desktop publishing
	- Spreadsheets
	- Databases
 - Financial
 - Internet
	- Email
	- Web browsing
 - Software development
 - Engineering
	- CAD
	- Analysis (structural, vibration, earthquake)
 - Educational
 - Games

from Karsten:

> - Words  -- Wordprocessing, email
> - Images -- Graphics, photography, art
> - Sounds -- Music, voice, ???
> - Data   -- Databases, analysis, business data, mailing lists, market
>research, spreadsheets
> - Communications -- Internet, email, telephony, videoconference
> - Games  -- you know, fun stuff.

>...this is an outgrowth of some thoughts I had a ways back on what
>computers are all about.  At the time, it seemed that is was basically
>words, pictures, sounds, and data, and the ability to modify, transport,
>interact with, and organize them, were the atomic building blocks of
>computing applications.  It seemed like an epiphany at the time (one of
>the obvious ones, mind you), I'm not sure it's particularly useful, but
>I thought I'd share it.  Programming probably wants to fit in somewhere
>too....

> - Application area -- Office suite, games, server (mail, web, print,
>   file, DBMS), specialized (music, photo, film, ??), data
>   analysis

Even if this doesn't get into the survey, it should be useful for
something.

I know this is backwards going from bottom to top, but every now
and then one has to do something different to keep from getting into
a rut.

Multimedia: Suggest deleting the three bracketed comments.The first
two refer to things we've done and the last one we're not going to do.

Observation: I notice that the categories Documentation, Support,
System administration, and Multiple users/single computer have the
category name in brackets on the right, the category Hardware has
'How important  etc.', the category Pricing has 'Please rank etc.', and
the rest have nothing. To be consistant we should choose something
to make them all similar.

Finally under Software we have:
!* software brand reputation (good or bad)
!* hardware brand reputation (good or bad)
!* [was: brand reputation (good or bad)]
!* [was: corporate reputation]
Suggest we replace them with:
* Is it important for you to purchase brand name hardware
* Is it important for you to purchase brand name software
and put them under Pricing

Bob