Re: [seul-sci] For comments: .DOC

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 04:32:35PM -0300, Danilo Gonzalez Hashimoto wrote:
> Hello people!
>
> 	We've had a thread on some aspects of using Linux in a production environment some weeks ago. This time I have a new problem: File interchange.
> 	Next week, we're going to have a National Ceramics Congress here in Brazil. Perhaps some of you have guessed my problem. Papers in Word format only. Once we have started the change to Linux using StarOffice - wich runs on both platforms - we have a problem.
> 	StarOffice writes Word documents, but it does not necessarily means it does it well. Some quite strange things happen to some documents.
> 	My question is: Do you also have this problem? Which are your workarounds? How can we solve it?

One trick is to dump to RTF rather than Word format per se, then rename
the file from foo.rtf to foo.doc. Word will read it and convert on the
fly. RTF is a bit simpler (and actually sort of documented) so you might
preserve your original formating better, depending onthe quality of the
StarOffice export filter.

NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer