Re: [tor-dev] Future Onion Addresses and Human Factors

On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 9:05 AM, Roger Dingledine <arma@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 08, 2015 at 11:36:35AM +0000, Alec Muffett wrote:
>> 5) taking a cue from World War Two cryptography, breaking this into banks of five characters which provide the eyeball a point upon which to rest, might help:
>>
>>         a1uik-0w1gm-fq3i5-ievxd-m9ceu-27e88-g6o7p-e0rff-dw9jm-ntwkd-sd.onion
>> agdjd-recognisable-word-kjhsdhkjdshhlsdblahblah.onion
>
> I'm a fan:
>
> Though I fear my point in the ticket about the Host: header might be
> a good one.

Proposal 224 seems like a reasonable time to try this.  Doling it with
the existing hidden services would add a way to partition clients.

If the hyphens are made canonical so that they're expected to occur
every N characters, for N something like 5-9 [*], we could avoid the
Host: issues.

[*]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magical_Number_Seven,_Plus_or_Minus_Two