[tor-dev] Not enabling IPv6 on check.torproject.org?

Hello Tor-Dev,

When opening Tor browser today, I opened check.torproject.org and got a really confusing message.

My assumption is that the circuit had an exit node that had (possibly multiple) IPv6-enabled, in addition to it’s IPv4. When the exit node connected to the exit node, it did so over IPv6 since check.torproject.org has IPv6 addresses.

~ ❯❯❯ host check.torproject.org
check.torproject.org is an alias for chiwui.torproject.org.
chiwui.torproject.org has address 138.201.14.212
chiwui.torproject.org has IPv6 address 2a01:4f8:172:1b46::abba:20:1

That’s a scary warning to get in Tor browser. Any reason chiwui.torproject.org has an IPv6 address? Can it be disabled to avoid having people (unnecessarily) freaking out over this warning?

Thoughts?

Best,

Frederic