[tor-dev] Tor Relay Guide Disagreements

Hi Vinícius,

(moving this discussion to the tor-dev mailing list since this isn't limited to the OpenBSD ticket scope
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/26619#comment:14 )

Vinícius wrote:
>  you [nusenu] took over /FreeBSD, /BSDUpdates, and /OpenBSD and enabled the 'read-
>  only' mode all by yourself without even consulting the original author or
>  anyone else
[...]
>  is there any particular reason why you enabled the read-only mode on
>  /FreeBSD, /BSDUpdates, and /OpenBSD? I think this a pretty odd behavior.
>  I'm sorry. if you do want to own all these pages (and many other more),
>  please tell us.

The Tor Relay Guide wiki page [1] has been 'read-only' pretty much since we launched it, it has been decided
a few months ago in [0]. Anyway read-only mode shouldn't affect you personally. Since you are listed on the tor people page
I assume you can simply ask for the permissions to edit 'read-only' pages.

I'd still ask you to open tickets for changes like your change to the FreeBSD page instead of applying them directly so we can discuss them
before applying and to avoid the necessary efforts.

On 2018-07-10 I split out the OS specific instructions into their subpages:
/DebianUbuntu
/FreeBSD

because of this move content that was previously read-only until then became writable
but that wasn't an intentional step.

On 2018-08-02 you changed the FreeBSD page [4], here are two lines (examples) of your replacements:

my text:
change the nickname "myNiceRelay" to a name that you like
Change the email address bellow and be aware that it will be published

got replaced with:
CHANGE THE NICKNAME
WRITE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS

I'm not sure I would consider these replacements an improvement since they remove
information without giving any reasoning for removing it in the comment.
Besides the removal of information this also introduces inconsistency in the
torrc file we used so far in the guide.

I reverted your change and addressed the issue you brought up
(net.inet.ip.random_id ordering, /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf modification)
and made the content read-only again (like it was until 2018-07-10).

>  ggus is that page's [/OpenBSD]  author and he allowed me to edit the contents of that
>  page (the same is also applied to the /FreeBSD page;

There has been no comment by ggus on #26619 (/OpenBSD) for a month so I went ahead and assigned it to me,
but I'll pull out of that ticket now.
ggus didn't create /FreeBSD [3].

> should we always open tickets with suggestions? - sadly it
>  also sounds extra odd, because when I did open tickets (#27006 and
>  #27007), a few minutes later you changed contents all by yourself

#27006 is about /DragonFlyBSD
I've never touched that page?
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorRelayGuide/DragonFlyBSD?action=history

#27007 was about creating /NetBSD - which you did.

I didn't consider my change - where I replaced the ORPort to use 443 (because
we used that port everytime that works out of the box on a platform)
to be part of the "create the /NetBSD page":
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorRelayGuide/NetBSD?action=diff&version=2

Going forward I'd propose the following to minimize the fraction and overhead:

I assume you maintain:
/TorRelayGuide-ptbr
/TorRelayGuide/OpenBSD
/TorRelayGuide/NetBSD
/TorRelayGuide/DragonFlyBSD

I'll keep maintaining:
/TorRelayGuide
/TorRelayGuide/DebianUbuntu
/TorRelayGuide/CentOSRHEL
/TorRelayGuide/Fedora
/TorRelayGuide/FreeBSD
/TorRelayGuide/openSUSE

All pages should be read-only and writable to authorized users/maintainer,
but feel free to have the pages you maintain world writable.

All non-maintainer changes are expected to go through a ticket.
After a timeout of 7 days with no maintainer response the ticket opener might
proceed with applying the proposed change.
I'll propose a list of requirements for a platform to be listed on the main page.

kind regards,
nusenu

[0] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/24497
[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorRelayGuide