Re: [tor-dev] Statistics on fraction of connections used uni-/bidirectionally

Hi Karsten,

we still believe that the statistics are useful. However we also agree
with Rob that since more and more relays report data the scatter plot
becomes confusing. I think some kind of aggregation would be helpful.

In one of our previous papers we assessed the performance impact of
simultaneous TCP connections in overlay networks [1]. There we found
that the occurring performance degradation is hard(er) to solve when
connections are used bidirectionally -- which is the motivation for
these statistics. From the current results I would presume that this is
the case in Tor most of the time.

In Future developments the statistics could become helpful.

Cheers,
Florian.

[1] D. Marks, F. Tschorsch, and B. Scheuermann, "Unleashing Tor,
BitTorrent Co.: How to relieve TCP deficiencies in overlays," in 35th
IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN'10), 2010, pp. 320–323.