Re: [tor-dev] What happens to my hidden service?

Liste <listsmlm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hidden service is unavailable, but tor is running.

Hello,

thanks for this info. We need more feedback from HS operators who are
encountering bugs or having problems.

Here is a short email with some comments. Not very revealing
unfortunately, but that's all I have for now.

> Tor's log:
>
> Dec 12 18:10:27.000 [notice] Your Guard SECxFreeBSD64
> ($D7DB8E82604F806766FC3F80213CF719A0481D0B) is failing more circuits
> than usual. Most likely this means the Tor network is overloaded.
> Success counts are 199/285. Use counts are 101/101. 253 circuits
> completed, 0 were unusable, 54 collapsed, and 15 timed out. For
> reference, your timeout cutoff is 60 seconds.
>
> is failing a very large amount of circuits. Most likely this means the
> Tor network is overloaded, but it could also mean an attack against you
> or potentially the guard itself.

Your guard node is not very well. For some reason it's failing
circuits. This might be a network problem of yours or your guard's, or
a bug, or potentially an attack. Unclear what it is in your case.

> Dec 12 18:15:53.000 [warn] Giving up launching first hop of circuit to
> rendezvous point [scrubbed] for service xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

A client told you to rendezvous in a node, but you couldn't create a
circuit to that node. Maybe because your guard node is down or
something. Not sure.

> Dec 11 13:08:59.000 [notice] We'd like to launch a circuit to handle a
> connection, but we already have 32 general-purpose client circuits
> pending. Waiting until some finish. [268 similar message(s) suppressed
> in last 600 seconds]

This is weird. For some reason your Tor has many pending circuits that
have not been completed. I'm not sure if this is the result of weird
network, or of normal hidden service activity. Also, that log message
was repeated 268 times, so lots of circuits were requested.

> Dec 11 13:43:12.000 [warn] onion_skin_client_handshake failed.
> Dec 11 13:43:12.000 [warn] circuit_finish_handshake failed.
> Dec 11 13:43:12.000 [warn] connection_edge_process_relay_cell (at
> origin) failed.
>
> Dec 11 00:34:57.000 [warn] Giving up launching first hop of circuit to
> rendezvous point [scrubbed] for service ....
>
> Dec 10 10:09:01.000 [warn] rend_service_introduce(): Bug: Internal
> error: Got an INTRODUCE2 cell on an intro circ (for service "...") with
> no corresponding rend_intro_point_t.

This is #8864 which is a pretty old hidden service bug that no one has
had the time to play with and fix. rransom has posted some ideas on
that trac ticket so it might not be terribly hard to fix. I will try
to get this bug fixed soon.