Re: [tor-dev] Scaling Tor Metrics, Round 2

On 7 Dec 2015, at 19:14, Karsten Loesing <karsten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 07/12/15 01:07, Spencer wrote:
> Hi,
>> teor: Do David's visualizations already use _javascript_? We could
>> make (another) part of the metrics site use _javascript_.
>>

> Can the data be processed on the host server and sent to the
> client JS-free?

We briefly discussed making a _javascript_-free Globe a while ago by
using Node.js.  I'm not sure whether this would also work for Metrics.
It may depend on how interactive graphs are supposed to be.

There are privacy advantages to doing the Globe processing on the client using _javascript_.
It's a design that means that user queries are never seen by the server.

But before we look more into this: do we really have no _javascript_ at
all?  The High Security level in Tor Browser says that _javascript_
performance optimizations are disabled and that _javascript_ is disabled
on all non-HTTPS sites, but in theory, Metrics runs on HTTPS, so the
bubble graphs should work in Tor Browser.

The Medium-High level disables _javascript_ on non-HTTPS sites.
The High level disables _javascript_ on all sites.
(In either case, users can enable it on a site-by-site basis.)

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F