Re: [tor-dev] Proposal 328: Make Relays Report When They Are Overloaded

On 12/7/20 14:06, David Goulet wrote:
Greetings,

Attached is a proposal from Mike Perry and I. Merge requsest is here:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/torspec/-/merge_requests/22

Disclaimer - As someone not very familiar with how tor load balancing works today, I might not be the target audience for this proposal :)

Maybe it's putting the cart before the horse, but it might be helpful to have a more concrete proposal for how this data will be used, which in turn will help evaluate whether this is the right data to collect.

e.g. naively I might assume the idea is to have some kind of exponential backoff for overloaded relays; but since the proposal is for the overload events to be recorded at hour-granularity, would that result in a relay getting overloaded at the top of every hour, and then under-utilized for the rest of the hour?

Cheers!
David