Re: [tor-dev] Tor Attack Implementations (Master's Thesis: Tor & Mixes)

On 2/8/2015 11:39 PM, George Kadianakis wrote:
> Florian RÃchel <florian.ruechel.tor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have taken some time and considered my topic for the Master's
>> Thesis. I have finally decided to write it on integrating
>> high-latency traffic with the Tor low-latency network (see also
>> my initial mail and George's response[1]).
>>

> Hello,
>
> yes it does sound like an interesting research topic.
>

>> My primary research goal is to determine the impact of a mix
>> network inside Tor, especially on low-latency users of the
>> network. For this, I plan to use shadow [2] with scallion to
>> simulate the Tor network. I then want to integrate Mix features
>> into the network and see how the network reacts to certain
>> attacks, attacking the mix users as well as the non-mix users. A
>>  crucial part in this evaluation will be to determine whether the
>>  anonymity of regular Tor users might be reduced (for example
>> just by drawing away users from low- to high-latency traffic) or
>>  whether it might actually be improved (it could attract more
>> users into the same network).
>>

> Yes, I'm also wondering whether the anonymity of low-latency Tor
> would increase if we plugged a high-latency network into it, and
> also the opposite. I'm curious on whether one network will act as
> cover traffic for the other, and what kind of adversaries that
> would fool.
>
> On this topic you might also enjoy the paper "Sleeping dogs lie on
>  a bed of onions but wake when mixed" by Paul Syverson:
> https://petsymposium.org/2011/papers/hotpets11-final10Syverson.pdf

Nice paper. Wonder why it isn't in anonbib too. I am used to keep a
bookmark on anonbib as a central repository of anonymity research
papers, so there's my concern :-)

I will add a bibtext entry. If anyone else discovers missing papers
please email me and I will add bibtext entries for them.