[tor-dev] SENDME cells

(sorry re-post - forgot subject)

Dear all

I'm working on a tor research project and am having difficulty understanding the SENDME cells. ÂThe tor spec acknowledges that it isn't particularly clear so I would welcome some clarification please.

The spec says that all nodes in a circuit maintain a send and receive window, and that this window is decremented on each RELAY_DATA and incremented on each SENDME. ÂCells that are neither of these do not affect the window size. ÂThe problem I have understanding is, that only edge nodes will know whether a cell is a RELAY_DATA, the intermediate nodes only know that its a RELAY but not what type. ÂSo, if only RELAY_DATA decrements the window size, and intermediate nodes cannot spot these, what point is there in intermediate nodes having a window?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Gareth

---
Dr Gareth Owen
Senior Lecturer
School of Computing, University of Portsmouth

W: ghowen.me