Re: cvs is up

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 09:22:15AM -0400, Bruce Montrose wrote:
> I have not touched op/. I have been working only on common/ so far.
> However, I will be making changes to httpap/ and smtpap/ soon if all
> goes well on my end.

Sounds good.

> What other proxies might we be interested in? Shall I look into making
> other application proxies?

I'm not sure what other proxies we want. Paul?

Ideally, I'd like a generic proxy that can work for all/most protocols. In
theory that should be possible, since when it comes down to it,
each proxy really only says "that IP, that port". (Right? I may be
missing something.) I wonder if we should investigate using ipchains
to redirect traffic into the OP. That would make the whole notion of
separate application proxies redundant (at least on Linux).

> Please explain how I should submit changed files to you. What about
> changes needed to Makefiles when new files are created? Should I check
> out, alter, and commit changes to the Makefiles as well? I'm CVS-challenged,
> so I need recipes and a brief explanation please. I suppose I need to create
> an ssh tunnel so that I can communicate through our firewall to your CVS
> server. What port do I need to map when I make the tunnel for CVS?

The very short version, (assuming you want to do development on a remote
machine that can ssh out) :

1) cd somewhere on your local machine that is an empty dir
2) set your $CVS_RSH environment variable to 'ssh'
3) cvs -d :ext:montrose@seul.org:/home/or/cvsroot/ checkout .
(don't forget the .)

Then do edits, etc. If you add a new file, type 'cvs add file'. If
you want to remove a file, rm it and then 'cvs remove file'.
Do 'cvs diff' to see what changes you've made, before committing.
(You can give diff its normal arguments, e.g. cvs diff -u if you prefer
unified diff)

When you're ready to commit your changes, do "cvs commit". It will ask
you for a short description of the changes you've made. (If you don't
like vi, you may want to change your $EDITOR variable.)

http://www.seul.org/sys/doc/cvs/ should give you an overview in a bit
more detail. 'man cvs' will give you more info about the options that
various commands can take. Google for "cvs documentation" for more.

Before you do new editing, always do a 'cvs update -d -P' to make sure
to integrate the changes that other people have made. 'cvs annotate file'
will tell you who's responsible for each line in the file.

You will end up typing your moria password on each checkout or
update or commit, unless you've set up rsa authentication for ssh
(this is another topic, though it's pretty straightforward to do).

Let me know if you've got questions.
--Roger