Re: [tor-dev] Metrics for evaluating sbws vs torflow? (was: Raising AuthDirMaxServersPerAddr to 4)

Hi,

On 4 Jun 2019, at 12:54, Mike Perry <mikeperry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

teor:

On 4 Jun 2019, at 06:20, Mike Perry <mikeperry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mike Perry:
teor:
I have an alternative proposal:

Let's deploy sbws to half the bandwidth authorities, wait 2 weeks, and
see if exit bandwidths improve.

Yes, that makes sense. A minimal version of this could be: don't do the
swapping back and forth, just add sbws and replace torflow scanners one
by one. As we do this, we could just keep a record of the metrics over
the votes and consensus during this time, and compare how the metrics
look for the sbws vs torflow votes vs the consensus, over time.

What were you thinking for the timeframe for the complete transition to
sbws?

longclaw has been running sbws for a while.
bastet started running it mid-May.
We can transition a third directory authority any time we like.

We need to keep 3 torflow instances until we fix these 4 critical sbws bugs:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2019-June/013867.html

After those bugs are fixed, we could transition one per month.

moria1 will need to install python 3 to run sbws, I don't know how long that will take.

Maybe September to December 2019?