[tor-dev] Improving the HTTP interface of BridgeDB: bridges.torproject.org

Hi list,

it's high time to write a better website for
https://bridges.torproject.org since it currently looks like the
homepage of an academic professor.

The new website should promote the use of pluggable transports (over
normal bridges) and should be explanatory and friendly to end-users.

I started writing a skeleton and some strings for the new website. I'm
also attaching an image of how the website looked like in my head
while I was writing the strings (although the person who codes, should
choose the interface). Sathya (cc'ed) said that he would be interested
in coding the web part.

The relevant trac ticket is
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/7296 . If you have
ideas on making the web frontend (or my proposed strings) better,
please write them there.

Thanks!

BridgeDB

<translations mirrors: ir, cn, blablabla>

===Get yourself some bridges:====

~ Looking for obfuscated bridges?

Depending on the bundle you are using you will need different bridges:

Click here if you are using tor-obfsproxy-browser-2.4.7-alpha-1 or
tor-obfsproxy-browser-2.4.9-alpha-1.
:::Link to obfs2 bridges.

If you are using tor-flashproxy-pyobfsproxy-browser-2.4.7-alpha-1, you
can use both these and these bridges.
::: Link to obfs2 and obfs3 bridges.

~ Looking for normal bridges?

Here are your N bridges:
>  bridge 1.1.1.1:1111
>  bridge 1.1.1.2:1111
>  bridge 1.1.1.3:1111

You should consider using obfuscated bridges :::link:::, since it's
the correct way of bypassing censorship.

===FAQ===

- What are bridges?

Bridge relays (or "bridges" for short) are Tor relays that aren't
listed in the main directory. Since there is no complete public list
of them, even if your ISP is filtering connections to all the known
Tor relays, they probably won't be able to block all the bridges.
::: Link to https://www.torproject.org/docs/bridges

- How to use this site?

This is a website where you can get bridge addresses. Select what kind
of bridges you want, and then add them to Tor using Vidalia.
::: Link to https://www.torproject.org/docs/bridges#UsingBridges

- What are obfuscated bridges?

Please read here for an introduction to obfuscated bridges and
pluggable transports.
::: Link to https://www.torproject.org/docs/bridges#PluggableTransports

- My bridges don't work! I need help!

If your Tor doesn't work, you should contact the Tor support group at
help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx . Try including as much info about your case as
you can, including the list of bridges you used, the bundle
filename/version you used, the messages that Tor gave out, etc.

- I need an alternative way of getting bridges!

Another way to find public bridge addresses is to send an email (from
a gmail or a yahoo address) to bridges@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the line
"get bridges" by itself in the body of the mail.

-------------------------

NOTES:

a) The above "Looking for obfuscated bridges?" section could be
   improved by coding BridgeDB to return mixed-transport bridges, like
   this:
   bridges.torproject.org/?transport=obfs2,obfs3

   https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/7296 has even more
   ideas on how to improve this section.

b) Both in "normal bridges" and in "obfuscated bridges", there should
   be a way to filter IPv6 bridges by appending &ipv6=true to the GET
   request. This is already implemented in BridgeDB.

c) There should be translations of the bridges.tpo page (and maybe
   also mirrors to other domain names)?

d) The BridgeDB UI should hint into the fact that normal bridges are
   in the process of becoming obsolete and should point users to
   obfsbridges when possible.

e) There should be a CAPTCHA somewhere between clicking "Looking for
   bridges?" and receiving the bridges.

f) The HTML code for the web frontend of BridgeDB is in
   lib/bridgedb/Server.py .