Re: [tor-dev] Proposal: Tor bandwidth measurements document format

Hi,

Thanks Nick for the comments, i'm replaying only to the parts where i
give an answer or i've more questions. I'd accept the rest of your
suggestions unless there will be further comments.

Nick Mathewson:
> Hi, Juga!
>
> This is a review of the document from
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/juga0/torspec/c7f06023dd1d5d47adad128de541f8eba2a13bfb/bandwidth-file-spec.txt
> , which I *think* is the same as the document you have below.

Yes, it is.

> I'm reviewing this as though it were a fully new format, since I'm not sure
> how much we already have locked-in based on existing code, and how much is
> new.  We might decide that backward compatibility is more important than
> consistency, and if so, we won't want to take all of my recommendations
> here.
>

>>           Tor Bandwidth Measurements Document Format
>>                             juga
>>                             teor
>>
>> 1. Scope and preliminaries
>>
>>   This document describes the format of Tor's bandwidth measurements
>>   document, version 1.0.0 and later.
>
> Suggestion: Maybe explicitly say "1.0.0, 1.1.0, and later"?
>
>>   Since Tor version 0.2.4.12-alpha the directory
>>   authorities use the bandwidth measurements document called
>>   "V3BandwidthsFile" and produced by Torflow [1]
>>   (format described in README.spec.txt [2]).
>
> Recommendation: "Format described in Torflow's README.spec.txt".
>
> Explanation needed: Is this a new format, or a new specification of the
> existing format?  Let's say so here.

New version of existing format. Though old version (Torflow's), didn't
have an specification in the sense this specification is being made).

> Question: If this is a different format, and we're calling it version
> 1.0.0, what should we call the old one?  But later it seems that we're
> introducing 1.1.0, and we're calling the old one 1.0.0.

yeah, this would be 1.1.0, the old one (Torflow's) would be 1.0.0

> Suggestion: let's be explicit that we're only describing the format
> here, and *not* describing how bwauths generate their data.
>

>>     The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL
>>     NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED",  "MAY", and
>>     "OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as described in
>>     RFC 2119.
>>
>> 1.2. Acknowledgements
>>
>>   The original bandwidth measurement scanner (Torflow) and format was
>>   created by mike. Teor suggested to write this specification while
>>   contributing on pastly's new bandwidth scanner implementation.
>>
>>   This specification was revised after feedback from:
>>
>>     XXX
>>
>> 1.3 Outline
>>
>>   The bandwidth measurements mentioned in sections 3.4.1 and 3.4.2
>>   of "Tor directory protocol" (dir-spec.txt) [3] are obtained
>>   by bandwidth authorities, which generate a file storing information
>>   on relays' measured bandwidth capacities.
>>
>> 1.4. Format Versions
>>
>>    1.0.0 - The legacy fallback bandwidth measurements document format
>>
>>    1.1.0 - Adds key_value lines to the header, format version,
>>            optional ones and section separator.
>
> Information: Let's repeat in this section which versions of Tor can
> consume these versions.
>
>> 2. Format details
>>
>>   Bandwidth measurements MUST contain the following sections:
>>   - Header (exactly once)
>>   - Relays measurements (zero or more times)
>
> Grammar suggestion: "Relay measurements".
>

>> 2.1. Definitions
>>
>>   The following nonterminals are defined in dir-spec.txt, sections
>>   1.2., 2.1.1., 2.1.3.:
>>
>>     Int
>>     SP (space)
>>     NL (newline)
>>     Keyword
>>     ArgumentChar
>>     fingerprint (hexdigest)
>
> Does this have to start with a "$" ?  I think it does.  Maybe we should be
> explicit about that.

Yes

>>     nickname
>>
>>   Nonterminals defined in "Tor Directory List Format" (dir-list-spec.txt),
>>   section 2.2.1.:
>>
>>     version_number
>>
>>   We define the following nonterminals:
>>
>>     value ::= ArgumentChar+
>>     key_value ::= Keyword "=" value
>>     line ::= ArgumentChar* NL
>>     timestamp ::= Int
>>     bandwidth ::= Int
>>     relay_line ::= key_value (SP key_value)* NL
>>
>> 2.2. Header format

One more thing that teor pointed at me: any line MUST be shorter than
512 characters (legacy restriction).
Teor pointed at me, i thought it was only for timestamp, but then i
realized it's for any line.

>> Some header lines MUST appear in specific positions, as documented below.
>> All other lines can appear in any order.
>>
>> There MUST NOT be multiple key_value header lines with the same key.
>
> Maybe this line belongs below in the key_value section?
>
>> It consists of:
>>
>>   timestamp NL
>>
>>     [At start, exactly once.]
>>
>>     The Unix Epoch time in seconds when the file was created.
>
> Question: Why no keyword and equal sign here?  Is this a legacy thing?

Yes, because of the way Tor [0] parses it, and the way Torflow generates it.

> Also, wouldn't it be more standard to have it be in YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SS
> format?

In this case we would need to patch current versions to accept it. Would
be that ok?. In that case we could also make it key_value.
We need one path right now: change function in [0] to accept additional
headers (ticket #25960).

>>   "version=" version_number NL
>>
>>     [In second position, zero or one time.]
>>
>>     The specification document format version.
>>     It uses semantic versioning [5].
>>
>>     This line has been added in version 1.1.0 of this specification.
>>
>>     Version 1.0.0 documents do not contain this line, and the
>>     version_number is considered to be "1.0.0".
>
> General concern: I question the use of = signs here in the headers.  If
> we use "SP" instead, then we can reuse a lot of the same machinery tor
> currently uses to parse other documents.

I guess we should see then how much we should refactor function in [0]
to reuse parsecommon.c (as you pointed me at by IRC).

>>   "software=" value NL
>>
>>     [Zero or one time.]
>>
>>     The name of the software that created the document.
>>
>>     This line has been added in version 1.1.0 of this specification.
>>
>>     Version 1.0.0 documents do not contain this line, and the software is
>>     considered to be "torflow".
>>
>>   "software_version=" value NL
>>
>>     [Zero or one time.]
>>
>>     The version of the software that created the document.
>>     The version may be a version_number, a git commit, or some other
>>     version scheme.
>>
>>     This line has been added in version 1.1.0 of this specification.
>>
>>   "scanner_started=" timestamp NL
>>
>>     [Zero or one time.]
>>
>>     The Unix Epoch time in seconds when the scanner that generates the
>>     measurements document started.
>>
>>     This line has been added in version 1.1.0 of this specification.
>
> See note above about time format.  YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SS is how we specify
> times elsewhere in Tor.

Since this is new, then no problem on changing to this format.

>>   "earliest_measurement=" timestamp NL
>>
>>     [Zero or one time.]
>>
>>     The Unix Epoch time in seconds when the first relay measurement
>>     was obtained.
>>
>>     This line has been added in version 1.1.0 of this specification.
>
> See note above about time format.
>
>>   key_value NL
>>
>>     [Zero or more times.]
>>
>>     Future format versions may include additional key_value header lines.
>>     Additional header lines will be accompanied by a minor version
> increment.
>>
>>     Implementations MAY add additional header lines as needed. This
>>     specification SHOULD be updated to avoid conflicting meanings for the
>>     same header keys.
>>
>>     Parsers MUST NOT rely on the order of these additional lines.
>>
>>     Additional header lines MUST NOT use any keywords specified in the
>>     relay measurements format.
>>
>>     If a header line does not conform to this format, the line SHOULD be
>>     ignored by parsers.
>
> Suggestion: say what recipients of this document should do with
> unrecognized data.  In general, it's good for forward compatibility to
> say something like, "Recipients MUST ignore key_value lines if they do
> not recognize the keyword. Recipients MUST ignore any extra material in
> a line that they do not recognize."
>
> Also see suggestion above about using SP as our separator rather than
> "=" for consistency with other documents Tor parses.
>
>>   NL
>>
>>     [Zero or one time.]
>>
>>     The header ends.
>>
>>     This line has been added in version 1.1.0 of this specification.
>>
>>     For version 1.0.0 documents, the header ends when the first relay
>>     measurement line is found conforming to the next section.
>
> Suggestion: Replace this empty line with an explicit keyword, for
> consistency with other documents.

Also to avoid interpreting section ends when there was just garbage.
Any suggestion on which one to use?, dir-list-spec.txt uses "=====",
don't know which ones other documents use.

>> 2.3. Relay measurements format

As in 2.2, to be compatible with current implementations, it MUST be
shorter than 512 characters.

>> It consists of zero or more relay_line with the measurement results
>> of relays in arbitrary order.
>>
>> There can be at most one relay_line per relay identity (fingerprint).
>>
>> There MUST NOT be multiple key_value pairs with the same key in the same
>> relay_line.
>>
>> Each relay_line MUST include the following key_value in arbitrary order:
>
> Do existing implementations accept arbitrary order here?

Good question, it seems like bw must be behind node_id, but they can
have things in front and behind. I probably should create a ticket to
add more test lines in [1] or include them in #25960.

>>   "node_id=" fingerprint
>>
>>     [Exactly once.]
>>
>>     The fingerprint of the relay being measured.
>
> Suggestion: Add a field to hold the Ed25519 Identity of the relay being
> measured.  Say that implementations SHOULD include both RSA fingerprint
> and Ed25519 identity, and that implementations SHOULD accept lines that
> contain at least one of them.
>
>>   "bw=" bandwidth
>>
>>     [Exactly once.]
>>
>>     The measured bandwidth of this relay.
>>
>>     Tor accepts zero bandwidths, but they trigger bugs in older Tor
>>     implementations. Therefore, implementations SHOULD NOT produce zero
>>     bandwidths. Instead, they SHOULD use one as their minimum bandwidth.
>>
>>     Multiple measurements can be aggregated using an averaging scheme,
> such
>>     as a mean, median, or decaying average.
>>
>>     Torflow scales bandwidths to kilobytes per second. Other
> implementations
>>     SHOULD use kilobytes per second for their initial bandwidth scaling.
>>
>>     If different implementations or configurations are used in votes for
> the
>>     same network, their measurements MAY need further scaling. See
> Appendix B
>>     for information about scaling, and one possible scaling method.
>>
>>   key_value
>>
>>     [Zero or more times.]
>
> Technically, this isn't a key_value, because a "value" is made of
> ArgumentChar, and ArgumentChar can contain spaces.  So if we were
> parsing
>        "foo=abc bar=def"
> we might be parsing either one key_value ("foo", "abc bar=def") or two
> ("foo", "abc"), ("bar, "def").

You're right. The closest from dir-spec.txt is KeywordChar, but that
doesn't include colon, for instance. So, we would need to define what is
accepted here (unless it is defined in some other document).

[0] https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/src/or/dirserv.c#n2563
[1] https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-list-spec.txt#n131
[2] https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/src/test/test_dir.c#n1495