Re: [tor-dev] Proposal 214: Allow 4-byte circuit IDs in a new link protocol

On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 09:36:34PM -0500, Nick Mathewson wrote:
>    Relays are running out of circuit IDs.  It's time to make the field
>    bigger.

I don't doubt the second sentence, but is the first sentence actually
true? Do we have any evidence / measurements / something here?

(Since circids are relative to the connection they're on, it's not clear
to me that any given TLS connection accrues more than a few tens of
thousands of circuits. And if a very few do, maybe the solution is to
move to a new TLS connection for those rare cases, rather than impose
a 2-byte penalty on every cell in all cases.)

--Roger