Re: [tor-dev] anonbib

On Fri, Nov 03, 2017 at 09:58:35PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
> our plan with the bibliography collection of GNUnet is to
> implement something similar to your/freehaven's anonbib.

Great.

See also the censorbib, for another example.

> While running the build and cache update of it from
> current git HEAD on the anonbib.cfg I noticed a number of
> outdated and broken links.

Yep. Many links have failed over the years. That was one of the big
reasons to have the local cached version of each file.

> I'm currently playing with 2 options: re-use anonbib as it is
> and change the style + some of its content (for us at GNUnet)
> or write something similar to it.
> From my perspective option 1 would be the best as we could
> work on fixing links together, keep the content up-to-date
> and at the same time keep the duplicate efforts and work
> down to a minimum.

Sounds plausible to me. I think we would be excited to take patches for
broken links -- even if the new link becomes just a link to our cached
version, which will hopefully live forever. :)
https://www.freehaven.net/anonbib/cache/

But for the ones that have a broken link *and* don't have a cached
version, it would be especially awesome for somebody to track those down.

It's not entirely clear what we ought to do with anonbib. At the
beginning, there was no google scholar, so it really was the place to go
to find out about papers in the anonymous communications area. And also,
back then, there were only 10 or 15 papers and you could feasibly read
all of them.

Now I think anonbib needs to be something other than "all of the papers
about the topic". One way forward would be to cull it even more, so it
becomes more of a recommended reading list.

--Roger