Re: [tor-dev] Proposal 284: Hidden Service v3 Control Port

On 10 Nov 2017, at 03:17, Yawning Angel <yawning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 10:13:45 -0500
David Goulet <dgoulet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ok fun! I'll add this. Good catch! And control-spec.txt should be
updated.

To be consistent then we could ask for a <Base64 Blob> as well:

   "ED25519-V3:<Base64 Blob>"

... which contains the ed25519 private key.

If it were up to me, I'd spec the blob as opaque, and then actually
use something that's sensible and consistent with the torrc and on
disk files for easy interoperability like Base64 of the private key
(I haven't check to see what encoding is used for on disk EdDSA
keys, I assume PEM).

Unfortunately not, it is custom to tor I believe with this 32 bytes
header:

   "== ed25519v1-secret: type0 ==\0\0\0"

... followed by the private key (64 bytes). See
crypto_write_tagged_contents_to_file().

Not sure we can change that within the 032 freeze. So the approach
would be to Base64 the raw bytes of the key (excluding the header).
Using tor HS key file, it would be something like:

   $ tail -c+33 hs_ed25519_secret_key | base64 -w 0

Considering the current situation with the encoded file on disk of
the key, I think this is kind of the simplest approach?
Show Quoted Content
[...]

Yeah.  Just the Base64ed private key (excluding that header and things)
seems reasonable.

Do we accept base64 with padding? Without padding?
(We should accept both - we know how long the key is.)

Do we generate it with or without padding?
(We should follow whatever we do with RSA.)