Re: [tor-dev] Concerns regarding a multilingual version of TBB,

On 10/8/15 3:49 PM, Tim Wilson-Brown - teor wrote:
On 9 Oct 2015, at 06:42, Yet Another Tor User
<yetanothertoruser@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:yetanothertoruser@xxxxxxxxxx>>
wrote:

I saw an email on the Wiki mailing list concerning a multilingual
version of Tor. If that was made possible your language tag be used to
track you. This could break your anonymity. Your thoughts?

Tor is currently available in multiple languages, just not in the same
download.
We could use the solutions we currently use for this issue:
* for the HTTP headers, send “accept-language: en-US,en;q=0.5”
and in other places, either send en-US, or send no language.

Agreed, and I do not see how bundling a choice of languages into one Tor Browser package changes things (since people are already using Tor Browser with various languages). The tracking issue is already mitigated by a language spoofing feature that is provided by Torbutton. See "User Agent and HTTP Headers" within the fingerprinting section of the Tor Browser design document:
https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser/design/#fingerprinting-linkability

The relevant browser preference is extensions.torbutton.spoof_english.

--
Mark Smith
Pearl Crescent