[tor-dev] v3 hidden services: inconsistencies between spec and implementation

Whilst implementing v3 hidden services myself I found some
inconsistencies between the specs and the current implementation. I
wanted to share these in case someone from the Tor organization wants to
update the specs and/or the implementation.

# rend-spec-v3.txt

## 2.4

* after decrypting the `superencrypted' object from a descriptor, the
  resulting document does not end with the NL character. This means that
  it does not strictly conform to the document meta-format described in
  section 1.2 of dir-spec.txt.

## A.2

* the blinded key param is defined as H(BLIND_STRING | A | s | B | N).
  In practice I found that I had to add a null byte after BLIND_STRING
  in order to reach the same value as the C implementation:

    param = H(BLIND_STRING | INT_1(\x00) | A | s | B | N)

  In all other cases where a string constant is used like this (e.g.
  computing the nonce N above), I found that the trailing null byte is
  not required.

* when clamping the blinding factor, the second bitwise operation is
  `param[31] &= 127' in the spec but `param[31] &= 63' in the C
  implementation. These are equivalent in practice when followed by the
  third operation (`param[31] |= 64'), but it might be nice to use a
  consistent representation for the benefit of human readers.

# 220-ecc-ids-keys.txt

# 2.1

* 'The signature is formed by signing the first N-64 bytes of the
  certificate prefixed with the string "Tor node signing key certificate
  v1".' I found this to be false; the signatures only validate without
  the string prefix.

## A.1

* I realized that the certificate types here are outdated. The
  signing-key extension is listed as type [04], when in rend-spec-v3.txt
  and the C implementation it is type [08].