Re: [tor-dev] Retiring old user number estimates

On 9/17/13 12:02 AM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 08:28:21PM +0200, Karsten Loesing wrote:
>> Here's the plan:
>>
>>  - Compute user numbers for 2012 and before; the current numbers start
>> on January 1, 2013.  This is going to take at least until September 23.
>
> Sounds good. That sounds like it will resolve Griffin's question too?

Depending on how far in the past he needs the user numbers, yes.  See
also my other reply.

>> Thoughts?  Did I miss anything that's worth keeping?  Anyone want to
>> create an archive of their favorite graphs before I pull the plug?
>
> I think it would be good to write a paragraph or two to answer Matthew's
> question -- why are these new numbers different, and what makes us think
> they're better? I admit I've lost track of the various user counting
> approaches too.

I'm going to extend the paragraph on users.html that also contains the
link to the tech report.

> (Also, is our estimate of August 2013 any more reliable than our estimate
> of August 2008, in this new approach? That is, are we losing more from
> the much earlier dates?)

See my earlier replies: graphs will start at the end of 2010 or so.  But
the old numbers will still be available on data.html.

All the best,
Karsten