Re: [tor-dev] How to query HS hostname from control port

meejah <meejah@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> [ text/plain ]
> Jesse V <kernelcorn@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> TL;DR: Please let me know how to fetch the hostname of my hidden service
>> from Tor's control port.
>
> There are two types of onion services: "on disk" ones configured via
> torrc/SETCONF and the HiddenServiceDir and related options **or**
> "ephemeral" onions, created via the recently added ADD_ONION command.
>
> In the latter case, you can list them with GETINFOs on "onions/current"
> or "onions/detached" depending on the options when you created them.

I guess a side question here is why those GETINFO commands only return the
ephemeral onion services and not all of them.

We should probably provide a common interface for getting the hostname of onion
services, regardless of whether they are ephemeral or permanent. Also, by
making this a control port command, Tor libraries can fetch it without doing
weird filesystem IO.

Anyone who wants to open a ticket here, or has a counter argument? :)