Re: [tor-dev] Proposal 334: A flag to mark Relays as middle-only

Tor Relays wrote:
David Goulet:

    However, I'm not sure we should always let 1 authority dictate that flag
    regardless of what the others think.

    I think we need to enforce majority here and not have one
    single authority dictate it.

    Thoughts?

+1

I can compromise one authority and can MiddleOnly the whole Tor network.

+1

of course we should not allow just 1 Directory Authority to have this power. This would undermine the security model of the consensus we have in Tor -- that is why we have more Directory Authorities controlled by different people in different jurisdictions / parts of the world so it's hard for an attacker to compromise all at once. We know and agree it's simple and cheap (even free if it's a LEA with a subpoena) to compromise one directory authority but much harder to compromise 50% + 1.