Re: Tor on Android

Hi,

I'm the guy who who developed TorProxy and Shadow on Android.

> Roger and I have discussed the idea of a Java wrapper around the C
> reference implementation. Adam Langley did a build of the C Tor client
> for Android:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg09408.html

For android, if we are targeting consumers' devices (rather than, say,
rooted devices) we are restricted to using Java and android's Native
Development Kit. The NDK makes it possible to write small sections of
code in C/C++ but doesn't provide much in the way of libraries. It's
really designed for optimising the small sections of a Java application
that are bottlenecks. In addition, there may be Java platforms for which
an NDK isn't available.

So perhaps the best way to go is to get a solid Java implementation that
can be customised (performance wise) for whichever devices are
appropriate?

Regards,

Connell