Re: [tor-relays] Manual Relay Guide for OS X

Hi Zach,

I had plans for updating the guide for OS X on the Tor wiki, but never got around to it.

Thanks for making it happen!

If you're interested in putting the StackExchange content on the website, the wiki link and the trac task with a sample LaunchDaemon plist for OS X are below:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/MacRunOnBoot

> Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 16:36:26 -0700
> From: Zachary Alberico <fossuser@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> I ended up putting it up on stack exchange since it'll probably be
> helpful there anyway.
>
> http://tor.stackexchange.com/questions/6567/how-do-i-manually-setup-a-relay-on-os-x
>
> Thanks,
> Zach
>
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 8:47 PM, Zachary Alberico <fossuser@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Tor-Relays,
>>
>> I wrote the following documentation after figuring out how to get my
>> Tor relay working with a manual install.  The goal is to give easy to
>> follow and concise instructions that explain just enough to understand
>> what you're doing.
>>
>> I'm trying to find out the best way to make this available - would it
>> be possible to add it to the externally facing documentation?  I'd
>> also really appreciate it if someone looks it over and sees if I made
>> any typos/forgot something.
>>
>> I can help with whatever needs to be done.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Zach
>>
>> ###
>> Manually configuring a Tor Relay on OS X (Yosemite, Tor 0.2.5.11)
>>
>> This guide walks you through the process of configuring your very own
>> tor relay explaining each step along the way.
>>
>> First install homebrew which will allow us to install the most recent
>> version of Tor (http://brew.sh)
>> The following command pasted into a terminal will download and install homebrew.
>> {code}
>> ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL
>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
>> {code}
>>
>> Once that completes we'll use homebrew to install tor with the
>> following command.
>> {code}
>> brew install tor
>> {code}
>>
>> At this point tor should be installed and the homebrew command should
>> have printed the following:
>> {quote}
>> You will find a sample `torrc` file in /usr/local/etc/tor.
>> It is advisable to edit the sample `torrc` to suit your own security needs:
>> https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#torrc
>> After editing the `torrc`  you need to restart tor.
>>
>> To have launchd start tor at login:
>>  ln -svn /usr/local/opt/tor/*.plist ~/Library/LaunchAgents
>> Then to load tor now:
>>  launchctl load ~/Library/LaunchAgents/homebrew.mxcl.tor.plist
>> {quote}
>>
>> Notice that it mentions the location of the torrc file (we're going to
>> edit that next).  It also explains how to have tor run at startup and
>> how to start it now.  Before we go ahead and run those commands let's
>> create the location logging is supposed to go since for some reason it
>> doesn't already exist.
>> These commands are creating directories.
>> {code}
>> mkdir /usr/local/Cellar/tor/0.2.5.11/var
> [...]

teor

teor2345 at gmail dot com
pgp 0xABFED1AC
https://gist.github.com/teor2345/d033b8ce0a99adbc89c5

teor at blah dot im
OTR C3C57B23 349825DE 929A1DEF C3531C25 A32287ED