[tor-relays] VPS Hardware Specification & Advice

Greetings!

My ISP British Telecom is rate limiting my Internet connection despite a big splashy advertising campaign earlier this year in which it claimed that it would no longer rate limit during so-called 'peak hours' or cap the bandwidth consumption when it reaches a ceiling that they decide is 'too much'.

I've tried various bandwidth rates that are a sensible percentage of the total available bandwidth but anything above a very small amount (50-80KB/s) is being rate limited even though the total amount of bandwidth available is approximately 30.00 Mbps downstream & 6.12 Mbps upstream. Now even 50-80 KB/s is rate limited.

Well, it's the school holidays started recently here & BT have just brought out a new streaming sports service which coincides with my bandwidth being rate becoming limited from about 2 weeks ago. I was able to run a consistently faster tor relay on British Telecom 7 years ago than I can today & I don't want to speak with a telephone operative in India who follows a script & will test my connection. I just take my business somewhere else -- rant finished!

Consequently I've sourced a company, located in a Scandinavian country, offering a VPS with 1TB of data consumption per month for approximately 18 Euros (more than half the price of my shitty, crippled British Telecom Internet connection) so I'll try this.

The cost of running the VPS is based on the hardware specification which brings me to my question.

I plan to utilise the full 1TB of data each month & I'd like some idea if the specification (below) is sufficient for an entry/middleman tor relay using 1000GB bandwidth per month.

The hardware specification I've chosen is:

CPU Cores: 1 - exact details of CPU are not specified on the company's website, problem?

RAM Memory: 1024 MiB

Traffic: 1000GB

Drive: 50GB

Price: 18 Euros

I'm completely new to VPS & am sure this will be a learning curve but no matter I will try to see if I can make it work even if performance of VPS might not be perfect.

If anyone has written a guide to hosting a tor relay on a VPS, I'd welcome any links to further information or any other useful advice based on experience of others.

Best regards,

Edvard.