Re: [tor-relays] ISP is aking me to send a selfie holding my identity card

On 2017-12-08 13:24, niftybunny wrote:

On 8. Dec 2017, at 10:23, Alexander Dietrich <alexander@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have no experience with Hetzner, but no ISP in Germany (or elsewhere) has ever asked me for a copy of my passport. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

(For German readers: it's illegal to create photocopies of the latest generation of ID cards, except for government agencies, banks and such, AFAIK.

No its is not and its normal with banks, ISPs,  web hosting etc

Look it up and stop starting rumours ...

Markus

That document basically says "copies are fine, as long as you comply with this list of bullet points that no IT-based process can (or will) follow". :) It even addresses in-person verification and recommends a "look but don't touch" approach.

But back to the topic of ISPs asking for your papers: caving in to such ridiculous demands sets a bad precedent and I would still recommend to take your business somewhere else.

Kind regards,
Alexander