Re: [tor-relays] MaxMemInQueues - per host, or per instance?

> On 23 Dec 2017, at 10:59, r1610091651 <r1610091651@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> So
> it will hurt Tor if we have too little buffers -> killing circuits -> unstable connections
> it will hurt Tor if we have too much buffers -> process out of control -> unstable instance
>
> Would it be possible to guestimate typical circuit buffer size?

Not really.

> One could then estimate value not too big / small based on the number of circuit running through relay.

The number of circuits varies over time based on client load
and relay capacity.

> If we where to say that a circuit would typically need 128k, one could estimate the setting for a 5K circuit relay to be ~600MB.

On my machines, relays typically use 800 MB, and exits use
about 1 GB. But it varies a lot.

So it's better to tell Tor how much RAM you have available.
Then you can let the network load balancing send the right
amount of client circuits your way.

For example, I have a relay with 32 GB of RAM.
The RAM and CPU usage spike at times, but it's fine :-)