Re: [tor-relays] 300mbps FreeBSD Tor relay on HPE MicroServer Gen10 (AMD X3421)

Hi Neel

My relay runs FreeBSD 11.2 and Tor runs in a "jail".

Jails are perfect for that! I observed the host Freebsd tcp stack is strong enough for more than 500Mbit/s in AND out.

> I am using AESNI and Tor is configured to use OpenSSL cryptodev.

Does crypto run? On log info you should find the following entry during start:

[info] crypto_openssl_init_engines: Initializing dynamic OpenSSL engine "dynamic" acceleration support.
[info] crypto_openssl_init_engines: Loaded dynamic OpenSSL engine "dynamic".

After finding this message you can switch to notice and restart.

  * I want to keep using FreeBSD on my server and do not want to run Linux

+1

  * I would prefer to have a single instance, but can use multiple if I have to

It's BSD, so may-be consider to go for libressl from ports (which does not support the crypto engine). And then use 2 instances per ip. Better for diversity ;)

  * My server supports hardware accelerated AES and SHA. I am using this on FreeBSD with the aesni kernel module and Tor with "HardwareAccel 1" and "AccelName cryptodev"

A toorc can look like:
  RelayBandwidthRate  0
  RelayBandwidthBurst 0
  HardwareAccel 1