Re: [tor-relays] Newbie question

On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 15:56:48 +0000, Chuck Bevitt wrote:
> I'm running an exit node using my home ISP (yes, I've read the warnings). My question is: what happens when my ISP changes my IPAddress? Will existing connections to my node be lost and will the node reestablish itself?

When your address changes, all circuits and exit connections currently
active on your node will die, and furthermore, your exit will still
be in the consensus with it's previous address for some time, causing
entry nodes to try to build paths through your node using the old
address. This will a) obviously fail and b) annoy the pour soul that
got your old address.  (This goes for non-exit nodes as well.)

If your address changes daily, as is usual on DSL in some parts of the
world, it's not the best place to run a relay (IMHO).

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>