Re: [tor-relays] HardwareAccel: Current proper use???

On January 3, 2015 2:42:44 PM usprey <usprey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

On 3 January 2015 at 13:56, Sebastian Urbach <sebastian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On January 3, 2015 10:41:42 AM usprey <usprey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi usprey,

>> "HardwareAccel" option.
>>
>> > *HardwareAccel* *0*|*1*
>

> The docu is not exactly a high-performance howto :-)

np, would just like to elaborate this option in the manual for people
not fluent in OpenSSL.

Since the hardware feature became more relevant in the last time i'm really looking forward to have a fresh set of eyes looking into it. Sometimes i find myself assuming things that shouldn't be assumed when it comes to new relays. If you feel the docu lacks something, please provide some input :-)

>> > If non-zero, try to use built-in (static) crypto hardware acceleration
>> > when available. (Default: 0)
>> >
>> I could not find a definitive answer in the archives or in
>>
>> https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/log/?qt=grep&q=hardwareaccel&showmsg=1
>> .
>>
>> https://www.torservers.net/wiki/setup/server#aes-ni_crypto_acceleration
>> claims
>> no intervention is needed in regards of aes-ni accelaration, but I would
>> like to add an explanation or source to this recommendation.
>>
>> Question_1:
>> If my CPU supports and have loaded aesni_intel on linux with OpenSSL is
>> 1.0.1.j-1, should I leave HardwareAccel off or explicitly enable it?
>

> You don't have to change anything with 1.0.1.j-1, leave the default.
>

>> Question_2:
>> What does "*built-in (static) crypto hardware acceleration*" refer to?
>> Dedicated hardware, CPU-support or...?
>

> It specifically means that you have the aes_ni cpu capabilities / flag. I
> have seen this flag on dedicated systems and also on vps systems as well. If
> the cpu / bios provides the flag and all other requirements are met (as
> stated in the torservers.net docu) you can use that feature on any system.

k, ty, will venture into OpenSSL docs.

> I would very much appreciate it if you would switch to text mail format,
> thanks.

k, is that the preferred default on these lists?

All lists i know prefer plain text, just better readable for everybody.