Re: [tor-relays] Tor being blocked by mayor ISP in Mexico?

On 16 Jan 2016, at 09:08, Test This <emu.x86.64@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My Relay, the Tor Browser and Fire.Onion have a higher possibility to get stuck while bootstrapping at 0, 5, 20%. Once passed the 50~60% it get faster.
My assumption is that my ISP is blocking or at least randomly dropping packets to and from well known Tor Authorities (IP blocking).
I don't suspect DPI, as client functionality is working.
Using bridges was not necessary when trying client functionality. I was able to connect (abort and retry). As reported by Fabian Bustillos as well.

We're working on a fix for this issue, by providing tor clients with a list of fallback directory mirrors This allows clients which can't reach the directory authorities to bootstrap. (But it doesn't resolve the issue for relays, which need to be able to reach the authorities.) We're trialling fallback directory mirrors in the 0.2.8 alpha series.
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/FallbackDirectoryMirrors

Another fix for this issue has clients try multiple directory authorities (or fallback directory mirrors) when bootstrapping. This makes bootstrap more reliable when only a few directory authorities are reachable. (It also doesn't help relays, because they need to be able to reach the authorities.)

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F