Re: [tor-relays] Opt-In Trial: Fallback Directory Mirrors

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 10:16:40 +1100
Tim Wilson-Brown - teor <teor2345@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think if a client is just using it for bootstrap, any extra latency shouldn't be an issue.
> But IPv6 clients may also pick it as a guard, so that should be taken into account.
>
> Should we be running relays over IPv6 tunnels?

Hurricane Electric has tunnel servers all over the world, so it's easy to pick
one which will only add negligible latency: https://tunnelbroker.net/status.php

Performance is not a concern either, these are not overloaded and should
be quite fast.

On the other hand HE.net may or may not want to have a word with you if you
run a relay through them with hundreds of megabits of IPv6 traffic; but that's
not something we can expect in the nearest  future. [and such powerful relays
are most likely in proper DCs with easily obtainable native IPv6 anyways]

There's a possible privacy issue that all the HE.net tunnel traffic can
technically be captured by HE.net;

however all of these provide IPv6 addresses under the same AS (6939) and the
same prefix of 2001:470::/32, so perhaps the same-AS avoidance code will
ensure that a HE.net IPv6 is only used once in a circuit? Does it correctly
handle cases when a router's IPv4 and IPv6 addresses are from different ASes?

--
With respect,
Roman