Re: [tor-relays] How can we trust the guards?

> The question remains whether  NOT having access to my relay makes life
> easier for people. Sometimes I guess you are right. But when all the big
> relays get overloaded, small relays could provide MORE bandwidth than large
> relays.Both your and my statements are qualitative, I would like someone
> who knows the numbers to respond.

Currently, big relays are not really overloaded.
We have 55Gbps on guards, and overall bandwidth used at only 50%.
	https://metrics.torproject.org/bwhist-flags.html
	https://metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth.html

> There are 850 MB unused memory on my $35 Pi relay that is used to 7% of its
link capacity.

On Pi, bottleneck is not RAM, but CPU to do crypto. Because no AES-NI
extension on the CPU and very low CPU benchmark (AES256 30MBps max, compared
to 500MBps with i5).
And there is also an hardware bottleneck, because every components (mainly
ethernet & SD card here) are connected to the same physical USB controller
limited to 480Mbps for *overall* transfer (network + disk + others USB).

> HUNDRED GB of RAM? I believe you mean hundred MB? In this case ditto.

No no, GB. 128GB is usual on server. We even begin to see 1TB RAM machine.

Regards,
--
Aeris
Individual crypto-terrorist group self-radicalized on the digital Internet

Protect your privacy, encrypt your communications
GPG : EFB74277 ECE4E222
OTR : 5769616D 2D3DAC72
https://café-vie-privée.fr/