Re: [tor-relays] Call for discussion: turning funding into more exit relays

On 07/25/2012 12:34 PM, Julian Wissmann wrote:
> Please don't forget non profits, like 501(c)3, under which
> probably many hackerspaces in the US fall or the german e.V., like
> Zwiebelfreunde e.V., who run torservers.net
> <http://torservers.net/>.

Absolutely! I meant to use LLC's as an example as they are much easier
to form than a 501(c)3 exempt organization, but my wording was poor. I
intended that to be read, "any company that's not a sole proprietorship."

> I disagree again. We're on the verge of cheap,affordable 10GBit
> (as in torservers has just gotten an offer for unlimited traffic
> 10GBit for $750 with SWIP from a hoster who seems Tor friendly).
> This means, that 100mbit is getting cheaper and cheaper, as does
> GBit. 100mbit already comes at a price diadvantage compared to
> gbit, we don't nead to start on cost-effectiveness of 10mbit, not
> to mention that many people in the west could run 10mbit nodes from
> home by now.

Perhaps you're right; has anyone done any network simulations or run
any tests to see what would be better for network latency and/or
anonymity (more low-throughput relays, or a few larger relays)?

Regardless, I don't think the speed/bandwidth cap (if there is one)
should be set too high. In many countries it may be difficult—if not
impossible—to run a 10, or even a 1GBit node. As great as lots of
1(0+)GBit nodes would be, we don't want to end up with plenty of nodes
in the USA, GB, Germany, etc. and very few elsewhere. Geographic
diversity is also extremely important for the project. That being
said, if we can get good geographic diversity while only paying for
larger nodes it might be more cost-effective. Again, this might need
(further?) research.

—Sam

- --
Sam Whited