Re: [tor-relays] High speed Relays/Exit nodes

Dennis Ljungmark:
> Hi,
>   We're currently running 6 different 100-200Mbit relay/guard nodes, and
> are looking at some issues moving on towards high performant exit nodes.
>
>   There are some administrative issues ( needing another IP block due to
> the RIPE registration, our ISP doesn't want their name on the exit nodes
> that we are responsible for )
>  which are generally minor ( are being resolved anyhow ) and then the big
> stumbling block.
>
>  Right now, with iptables modifications ( raw tables hacks to disable
> conntrack, bucket increases, following the general best practices ) our
> firewall is running at high amounts of CPU, but coping.  However, once we
> start introducing Exit Nodes into this equation, things turn sour.
>
> So, since we do not want to trust only routing level separation between
> Exit Nodes and internal networks, we're going to have to invest into new
> hardware that can cope with this.  Before this, we tried Ingate firewalls,
> and they weren't capable of coping with the load of guard nodes.
>
>   ( The traditional "linux box in front" doesn't quite cut it due to
> networking hardware in most cases. )
>
> So,
>   in summary,  when you get to the point of actively dealing with 8-900Mbps
> of Tor traffic ( on top of normal users and others) what hardware is needed
> to cope with firewalling?

Hey Dennis,

What hardware are you using? In general iptables/netfilter should be
able to handle more than 200Mb without any trouble at all.

I wonder if your network card is an issue? What CPUs are you using? What
versions of OpenSSL and other relevant software are in use?

All the best,
Jacob