Re: [tor-relays] More than one instance with Debian Jessie

Am 03.07.2016 um 17:06 schrieb nusenu:
>> Still open:
>>
>> "arm -i 9052" - is asking for a Controller password while I have a
>> HashedControlPassword in place ?
>
> if you configure tor to require a password for controlport access (that
> what HashedControlPassword is for), you will be asked for a password
> (expected behavior).
>

> https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en :
>> HashedControlPassword hashed_password
>>
>> Allow connections on the control port if they present the password
>> whose one-way hash is hashed_password. You can compute the hash of a
>> password by running "tor --hash-password password". You can provide
>> several acceptable passwords by using more than one
>> HashedControlPassword line.

I do obviously have a different - maybe wrong - understanding of
(expected behaviour).

I create with "tor --hash-password password" a hash and put it in my
second instance /etc/tor/instances/tor2/torrc as "HashedControlPassword
xx:xxxxxxx..". The ControlPort there is 9052

I do already have the same in my first instance /etc/tor/torrc where my
ControlPort is 9051.

When I now start arm with just "arm" it is working well and showing up
the usual window of my first instance -showing ControlPort 9051 in that
window -without asking for a passwort, because it takes as I asume the
hash out of the torrc file.

But if I do try to start arm with "arm -i 9051" I do get asked for a
ControlPasswort - same if I do it with "arm -i 9052"?

So what is wrong in my understanding please?