Re: [tor-relays] tor alpha users: if you are still running 0.3.3.5-rc..

I would guess that people that made this mistake just misunderstood how apt sources work? Just unfamiliar with the distribution method?
If that's you:
You can have more than one source that supplies a given package and it's apt's job to pick the right one (or make you do it if it can't.) So you can just leave the stable branch listed - generally whichever source has the higher available version will win. You get the cutting edge alphas until they push it to stable (and you can remove/update the alpha source at your leisure.)

Happy to help with the test branches.