Re: [tor-relays] Question regarding ethical torrent blocking

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 12:36 PM, Nagaev Boris <bnagaev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think that modern copyright lays violate non aggression principle,
> which includes free speech.

As I agree, which is why I typically ignored such threats until my
provider started enforcing said threats.

> Rationale. Skip this paragraph if you already agree with the above
> statement. When a person buys a hard drive they become an owner of it.
> Of all its parts, including parts happen to be Fallout 4, The Elder
> Scrolls V, Sweetbitter, and The Evil Within 2. Another person
> establishes a private communication channel between their hard drive
> and the first person's hard drive. The line between them is private,
> hard drives are private property of these two people => any
> intervention of force into this voluntarily interaction is an
> aggression.
>
> If one agrees that copyright laws are incompatible with free speech
> and are immoral, then he has to admit that all solutions including Tor
> are technical, not fundamental. Thus the "quality" of a solution is
> based not on morality but on technical properties (e.g. how much data
> is transmitted, how many people can use it, etc). Free speech
> considerations are not a measure at this point. If to continue
> providing the service the node has to drop some connections is the
> lesser evil to be accepted. You can compare it with treating an
> incurable disease: you can not fix the problem in a right way but you
> can reduce the suffering and increase life time of the patient.

Thank you for your very thoughtful answer. I just implemented the
first choice in the ReducedExit policies in my exits to try to block
the bittorrent threat from taking service away from everyone else.