Re: [tor-relays] FYI: Subpoena Received

If you were required to hand over your relay keys be sure to switch over to new ones to avoid future traffic from being affected by MITMs.

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 12:26 PM IPfail (Tor Admin) <tor-admin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Vasilis,

It turned out to be a pretty "non-event". The jurisdiction was a relatively small one on the east coast of the US. The staff of the prosecutor's office were all very professional and pleasant to work with. Phoul coordinated the production of a letter from the Tor Project in record time that I was able to attach to my subpoena response.

In the end, the whole incident took ~4 hours to handle, and I suspect that any future ones would be much quicker now that I have all of the contacts in place and the attorneys up to speed.

In hindsight:
* Having a supportive and Tor-savvy ISP (Hurricane Electric) was a big plus.
* Having an attorney designated who is familiar with Tor /in advance/ would have saved time.

Your mileage may vary.

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 08:42, Vasilis <andz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi IPfail,

"IPfail (Tor Admin)":

> The one I received seemed very reasonable in language and scope, and came with contact information for someone with a title that implied that they work specifically on "cyber crimes". I am currently anticipating that this will be a non-event.
>
> Either way, I wanted to share this event with the relay community since one of the questions that I had when first starting out was how much "administrative overhead" could be expected as a result of operating relays.

Thank you for reporting this to the mailing list.

In case there is a resolution that you can publicly share it may be useful for
current or upcoming relay operators/servers in US.

Cheers,
~Vasilis
--
Fingerprint: 8FD5 CF5F 39FC 03EB B382 7470 5FBF 70B1 D126 0162
Pubkey: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5FBF70B1D1260162