Re: [tor-relays] Two new exit nodes online

Hi Isaac,

On 29/06/17 13:24, Tor Node Admin @ SechsNullDrei.org wrote:
> Thank you for the suggestion.  I have added MyFamily records to the
> torrc file on each of the three nodes.  It likely doesn’t matter on the
> middle relay, but it can’t hurt.

On the contrary, it's vitally important to have the middle relay in the
family as well as the two exits. The purpose of the family specification
is to ensure that a client doesn't choose two or more relays run by the
same operator to participate in one circuit. Without the middle relay
being listed as a family member, a client could end up using your middle
node to connect to one of your exit nodes, which would be bad for privacy.

Hope this clarifies the reason for being asked to declare the
relationship between the relays.

Thanks for running relays (and especially exits) and for fixing the
family configuration so quickly.

Stephen