Re: [tor-relays] Problem encountered with Bandwith Authority algorithm (was : "bandwidth authority algorithm is cracked")

[Solved]

Hi folks,

Probably my last email about this, because without having made any change, bandwidth authority algorithm seems to have reconciled with the server involved by this problem. It's a useful information, after all! It's not the only thing I saw.

The recovery has been very slow (see 6E7DA10B115976457A2A2BD42CFD141D1430B91D in Tor atlas) while few days ago, the second daemon was hitting very high bandwidth (between 20 and 25MB/s) and began to be a little bit "shaky" in consensus weight.

With such high but unstable bandwidth (I wonder if I did not had the same graphs before the beginning of problems in december) I was afraid to see the problem to appear a new time, so I decided to put the following value into the torrc file:

    RelayBandwidthRate 15360 KB

And now it seems to be more peaceful.

My conclusion after all this:

When the machine is riding at full capacity, but the still growing bandwidth reaches an awesome value that is not reasonable for your machine, it can start to shake. In this case, if you are impressed and want to see how far it's going to rise, bandwidth authority algorithm may be going to "break" your machine, and when the break happens, itâs too late : it will inevitably and gradually go down to some hundred kilobytes. The recovery will be horribly slow and painful, since during approximately 2 month, you are not going to see any improvement.

PS: This machine seems to be more capricious when approaching maximum capacity (Intel Xeon E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz, 4 cores) than other ones (Atom k510, Athlon II X2 240 and Athlon II x2 270), for which bandwidth authority algorithm can choose good value, and work completely fine without bandwith limitation, and without having too many "Your computer is too slow to handle [...]" nor shaky bandwidth.

Here is everything I saw and understood!
Have a nice day (or night)

Regards,
Julien ROBIN