Re: [tor-relays] 7 relays gone because of spammers

On 2015-02-25 14:20, Speak Freely wrote:

Oh yes, my money is gone already. They have no interest in talking to me
anymore, as the decision was final. The Abuse department won't talk to
the Support department, and the abuse department won't talk to me.

The idea of initiating chargeback is great. I did this couple times myself when vendor was everything but honest. If that's what you're going to do, I'd definitely like to hear what was OVH excuse for not following their own policy as they have to explain and prove to the bank why the charge is valid.
Hopefully you'll get your money back.

I'd be more inclined to think these spam assassin fellas/"evil doer
finders" just parsed the exit-node files and decide WHOOPIDY-DO I did my
job! Over-zealous punks trying to get their lists larger than their
competitor.

OVH appears to have based these accusations on what other websites have
said about my IP addresses, and not a single actual complaint against
the relays I run.

I haven't thought about it that way. I run mailserver myself and fighting with spam is daunting task. To avoid situation of automagically reporting spamming IP to SBLs providers I'd like to implement solution that'll do both reporting and whitelisting (have neither). Is someone familiar or have already in place (or need - I'll try to write one myself) a script/config module to spamassasin or postfix milter that will do two following tasks. One would be periodical download of a public list of tor exit relays. Second would involve "spammy email" management. If an email passes through all filters and is deemed spam/malware/ebola, it should be dropped, yet if it is received from exit relay (ip on the list downloaded on step 1) it wouldn't do anything in terms of reporting anywhere. Otherwise forward for spam
analysis.

I'm also thinking about second possible solution, but I'm not sure if it's possible. On the host that's an exit relay, one would also have installed some kind of postfix (or other MTA) and not encrypted tor exit traffic directed to port 25,587 reroute to localhost's MTA for virus/spam scanning and then either forwarding or dropping. Rerouting is doable in moments using iptables. I'm not sure what effect
that would have on the tor network and security though.

Zefir