[tor-relays] Tor-node/relay: System installation vs. TorBrowser

Hi!

I was referred to you from help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx when asking them if they discouraged from using tor as a client or node/relay with tor in a system installation.
By "system installation" I mean installation of tor, libevent, libgeoip (and ev vidalia) together with openssl.

I found they today absolutely discouraged from the use of such a "system installation" when using tor as a client. When it came to using tor as a node/relay or running a server they referred the question to you.

My reason for asking is that I have been running a "system installed" tor node in my Slackware server for 3 years now. subsequently updating/grading them. It has served well and I monitor the log continously for warnings or errors correcting the when they very rarely occur (usually by updating/_grading).
My reason for using a system installation for node/server use is that I've found it easier to configure the way I wanted than the BrowserBundle.

Do you consider this kind of installation insecure?

Best regards

Larse